Living in a spatially-enabled world
Description / Emerging Technologies:
Our work is related to current technological trends, such as:
- Cloud computing, Big Data, and HPC:
- Open data for precision farming agriculture.
- Storage and (near) real-time analysis of large amounts of vector based-data (e.g. VGI, sensor observations) and satellite. imagery using traditional database approaches as well as big data tools.
- Early warning systems on the cloud for increased performance and interconnection in Crisis Management.
- HPC for real-time execution of complex calculation and scientific models (e.g. tsunami simulations).
- Internet of Things (IoT) and Smart Cities:
- Location awareness.
- Sensor management/data access through OGC SWE standards (Working group in OGC to align SWE with IoT approach).
- Use of GIS open-source technologies:
- Web Map Clients: Leaft, OpenLayers, Cesium.
- GIS Web Services (involving visualization, download, and processing geospatial capabilities): Geoserver, Mapserver.
- Processing libraries: Python, (Geo) Pandas, SciPy, (Geo) PySpark, NumPy), Java (Geotools), Scala (Getrellis, Geomesa), R.
- Databases: PostGIS, Rasdaman, Apache Accumulo, MongoDB.
Critical Mass / Market:
- Expertise in GIS technologies and standards, which have been applied in different projects/domains (e.g. OGC, INSPIRE, GEOSS, ORCHESTRA).
- Expertise in the Environmental and Crisis Management domains.
- Strong partners network in the GIS community.
- Experience in the integration of sensor data.
- Shifting to Big Data/Cloud paradigm (experience being gained in FOODIE, DataBio, CLARITY, EUXDAT projects).
Relation between the Research Line and Atos Portfolio :
- Solutions/Projects are clearly aligned with Atos business areas and can provide support for bidding opportunities
- Environment and Agriculture (e.g. Spanish Ministry of Environment and Agriculture) with FOODIE, ENVIROFI, DataBio, EUXDAT and EO4AGRI projects.
- Development of Climate Service solutions in support of decision-makers and infrastructure (urban and transport) planners with CLARITY project.
- Support the improvement of Copernicus programme capabilities for the Agriculture domain (and in particular CAP-2020 policy) through the Coordination and Support Action EO4AGRI project.