The Telecom Sector focuses on:
- Developing the technology for future 5G high-speed broadband and mobile network infrastructures.
- Contribute to Networld2020 ETP and the 5G PPP initiative (member of both Steering Boards).
- Foster the adoption of integrated networks as well as novel Internet architectures and technologies.
This sector seeks the definition and adoption of assets for the telecom industry through Atos sales channels.
Our main partners include key telecom industry players (such as Telefonica, Portugal Telecom, Telecom Italia, Deutsche Telekom, Nokia, Alcatel-Lucent, Ericsson, etc.), relevant European universities (UPC, UPM, NTUA...) and cutting-edge research centers (i2CAT, Fraunhofer, iMinds,...)
- Explore novel network architectures - such as 5G - and the applications these enable.
- Study 5G enabling technologies such as Network Function Virtualization (NFV) and Software Defined Networks (SDN).
- Analyze the impact of virtualization on the telecom landscape, both from technical and business perspectives.
- Align the research activity with the offering and activities of Atos (Next Generation Intelligent Networks, Context-aware mobility, Cloud for Network Function Virtualization, OSS/BSS, etc.), studying new business opportunities for operators.
From the innovation point of view, Atos is participating in initiatives that bring NFV closer to the market. As far as research is concerned, the combination of NFV and SDN for the construction of the 5G network is one of our main priorities.
The sector is currently involved in several exciting projects that cover a wide range of technological challenges such as NFV and SDN in the framework of 5G as well as Recursive Internet. In particular, we are very proud to participate in five of the first wave of European projects that are currently defining the 5G network to-be.
As an IT provider and system integrator with virtualization and cloud expertise, Atos expects to fully take advantage of 5G as a big opportunity for to become even more influential in the telecom sector and link our research results with Atos’ global telecom portfolio.
- Next generation communication networks (5G) and innovative networking paradigms (Network Function Virtualization, Recursive Internet).
- Combination of cloud computing and networking: Cloud RAN and Mobile Edge Computing (MEC).
- Global telecom solutions (i.e. Big Data for network management) in complex and heterogeneous environments for ubiquitous and reliable service delivery.
- Evolution towards Telecom Single Market. Trends and regulations.
- Network Function virtualisation (NFV)
- Mobile Edge Computing (MEC)
- Large-scale federation of Future Internet facilities and services for experimental purposes.
- Recursive Internet paradigms.
Development of a novel mobile network architecture providing adaptability in a resource efficient way able to handle fluctuations in traffic demand resulting from heterogeneous and dynamically changing services and to changing local context.
5G integrated backhaul and fronthaul transport network enabling a flexible and software-defined reconfiguration of all networking elements in a multi-tenant and service-oriented unified management environment.
The aim is to enable collaboration between operators regarding 5G infrastructure services.
Open and easily accessible facilities to the FIRE experimentation communities, which focus on fixed and wireless infrastructures, services and applications, and combinations thereof.
Demonstration of programmable functions in a recursive internet environment for several use cases (security, QoS, congestion control).
Small cells for 5G equipped with computing capabilities are exploited for network management and service delivery enhancement
SDK and a modular orchestrator of network services for bringing NFV closer to the market in the framework of 5G.