The Media sector encompasses two complementary perspectives. On one hand there is the media industry (broadcast, content production, press, etc.), and on the other, media and gaming technologies such as digital content management, 3D audio and video analysis, Big Data social media analysis, augmented and mixed reality, among others.
In terms of clients, there tend to be either very large media conglomerates and/or broadcasters or small, agile technology companies.
The main goal is to improve the positioning of Atos in Media, New Media and Digital Content Management. These areas are quickly becoming a strategic growth area for Atos and this will drive the research topics of this sector with a strong market orientation.
The design and development of ICT tools that support:
- Multi-platform efficient Media content management, search, retrieval and content distribution.
- Content recommendation and personalized advertising through content characterization, content annotation, datafusion and profiling.
- Rich multimedia user experience.
- Social network analytics.
- Non-leisure gaming and gamification technologies.
Besides participating in R&D projects, the Media sector supported Atos Major Events for the 2016 Summer Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brasil. It also contributed to the Olympic Broadcasting Services webcasting solution for the Winter Olympics 2014 in Sochi and for the second Youth Olympic Games in Nanjing.
We also follow the activities of the New European Media (NEM) initiative.
The biggest challenge is to convert the extensive knowledge accumulated by this sector during last years in different R&D projects related to media technologies into assets that are useful to the rest of Atos Group.
The focus is on the following challenges:
- Content annotation and enriched metadata for multimedia.
- Multimedia search, distribution and retrieval.
- 3D and virtual worlds.
- Streaming (P2P, 3D, SVC, MDC, etc.).
- Social media analytics related to media content
- Metadata, especially for sports: Mpeg, 7 MPEG 21, SprotML, EventML, Major Events, etc.
- Realtime recommender systems
- Personalized Content
- Multimedia search and retrieval
- P2P streaming
- Social media analytics
- Second Screen
- New user interfaces for access to multimedia (multitouch, Kinect, tablet)
- Digital archiving