The Manufacturing & Retail sector has a deep experience and capacity in multiple areas: design and integration of Collaborative Platforms (i.e. for Meta-Products development covering communication tools, PLM, ERP, ALM, PMS, etc.), deployment and management of Manufacturing (Industry 4.0) solutions on the cloud, data acquisition from shop floor making use of smart objects.
Those solutions are developed mainly in the scope of Internet of Things (IoT) oriented to Manufacturing Ecosystems with special focus on Cyber Physical Production Systems (CPPS). They consider subsequent integration of data with different systems (consumers), customized application platforms for development, Big Data applied to manufacturing, security and cloud computing.
The retail sector is one of the biggest users of ICT, and thus a driver for innovation. It has a major role to play in the development of a sustainable economy and also in allowing citizens to face the current economic downturn by giving them easy access to affordable and good quality consumables.
The main goal is to help companies, in particular SMEs, to adapt to global competitive pressures by improving the technological base of manufacturing and retail across a broad range of sectors. This sector applies new IT advances to address the challenges and opportunities deriving from:
- The complex and globalized nature of manufacturing systems.
- The reduction in manufacturing timescales and acceleration of technological innovation.
- The customer centric approach fostered by Industry 4.0 paradigm.
- The growing need for sustainable, resource-efficient production.
- Food traceability and food chain integrity.
- Production flow improvement - lean factories.
- New channels to provide the right information to customers while preserving their privacy and trust.
- Branding management and its impact on manufacturing process.
We are interested in developing new solutions for a range of activities covering manufacturing processes, the factories of the future approach (Industry 4.0), food tracking & traceability, improvement of retailer business processes and client satisfaction through better information strategies. In particular, we focus on the following activities:
- Identification of research opportunities from national and international bodies aligned with Atos commercial divisions’ needs.
- Technology transfer to improve Atos solutions.
- Exploitation activities to steer the research towards market needs and exploit research results.
- Commercial projects to final customers, including R&D support.
The majority (99.8 %) of enterprises active within the EU-27’s non-financial business economy in 2008 were SMEs and only a few of them have the research capacity and the financial potential to implement high-risk innovative manufacturing and retail technologies.
In this context a variety of challenges emerge:
- To develop Collaborative and Scalable Platform for Data visualization and analytics.
- To improve innovation activity. New ideas have to be transformed into new products and processes.
- Better knowledge of the context in the manufacturing process through any kind of sensor or CPPS to support decisions thus optimizing the full process and resources consumed.
- Ensure the food chain integrity (“from farm to fork”) through tracking and traceability.
- To optimize retailer processes and its client satisfaction: Smart labels management, consumer geolocation, iBeacons and wearable technologies.
- Consumer apps development, App store, marketplace, and payment systems. Back office for applications development and commercialization.
- Sustainable, resource-efficient manufacturing.
- Production technology to exploit the potential of emerging technologies (in particular novel bio- and nano-technologies).
- Leveraging simulation and modelling techniques to address manufacturing challenges.
- Interoperability of the value chain IT systems and support to collaborative decision.
- Flexible, rapidly responsive production systems for customized manufacturing.
- Smart agrifood: Food chain integrity, making certain that food is traceable, safe to eat, high quality and genuine.
- New product information channels using mobile devices for supermarket clients.
Policy makers are aware of the potential of manufacturing innovation to contribute to tackling social, economic and environmental challenges such as healthcare, sustainability, and mobility.
The creation of cloud-enabled tools for supporting the supply network optimization of manufacturing and logistic assets based on collaborative demand, production and delivery plans.
Creation of a digital automation framework that optimizes the manufacturing processes by exploiting existing data, knowledge and tools to increase productivity and dynamically adapt to changing market requirements.
Funded by Horizon 2020 within the FoF PPP and I4MS programmes, aims to support and link national and local initiatives for the digitisation of manufacturing industry, to boost investment and collaborations through strategic partnership and networking.
Integration of a commercial-grade and new, hybrid automatic speaker verification (ASV) systems with the latest environmental robustness and anti-spoofing technologies to deliver a scalable, trusted biometric authentication service (TBAS).
High Impact Initiative (HII) belonging to the Digital Industry Action Line of EIT Digital and aimed at creating innovative solutions and business opportunities for European industrial players, corporations and SMEs.
Research on future onsite maintenance and repair of aircraft by integrated direct digital manufacturing & development of a new set of technologies to maximize the benefits of 3D printing systems and bring further flexibility to produce parts at the right place and time.