In recent years the potential Internet of Things technologies have acquired high attention and gained further recognition as key enabler for citizen centric business generation in different application areas, such as Smart Cities, Smart Energy and Environmental Management and Protection, Smart Industry and Factories of the Future, Smart Home and Assisted Living, Public Safety, Agriculture and Tourism. The Internet of Everything concept goes one step forward involving People, Process, Data and Things under the same scope.
We currently understand the Internet of Everything as a paradigm considering the pervasive presence, in any context of the human activity, of sensing and actuating physical devices and ICT objects that are addressable, interconnected, and able to communicate and cooperate which each other.
Atos has a clear IoT end to end strategy from IoT services to IoT platform. IoE will enable and empower our clients on their digital transformation journey and develop competitive advantage. The new IoE paradigm is not only about gathering data from objects, is about using these data in better decisions and integrated in the business processes.
We strongly support the usage of standard and open web technologies to construct the Internet of Everything. The openness in technologies ensures that implemented standards are used without barriers, enabling freedom for researching, deployment and creation of new business models in a digital world.
- Provide a full operative IoE platform capable of connecting People, Process, Data and Things in a standard, scalable and decoupled way. The resulting ecosystem enables multiple domain business and applications through a set of services for real time communications, data storing, monitoring, statistics, etc.
- Foster Open Standard Web technologies to create services, platforms and applications focusing on the growing needs of interoperability. IoT open standards interoperability is necessary for market adoption and horizontal solutions.
- To support interoperability and Open Standards, the European FIWARE Platform is used to implement IoT scenarios, taking advantage of the IoT Generic Enablers and NGSI Data Standard.
At technical level we focus on developing a complete IoE platform where the embedded devices are complemented with the new landing of tiny computers and any kind of sensors. Smart gateways virtualize sensors (devices, actuators, etc.), powering them with connectivity capabilities and adaptable behavior. They act and react intelligently thanks to the analysis of surrounding data and communicate to the world through different services and integration frameworks.
We participate in technological research activities looking both for deriving user situation-aware application requirements in real time and for producing virtualized IT object models and integration frameworks equipped with advanced features. Virtual IT objects become robust and reusable in a broader IoE service context and easily integrable with other platforms and services.
At the business modeling research level, our aim is to abstract technological heterogeneity of vast amounts of diverse real work addressable objects, to enable their use for enhancing IoE services and applications, and the involvement of cross-domain actors in multi-sided business platforms. Initiatives, results and trends in synergy research domains like cloud computing, big data and social networking are also carefully followed and applied as further foundations for our IoE modeling and integration efforts.
Last year we have started a new research line about managing the huge heterogeneous ecosystems in IoT scenarios.
Some of the pending achievements towards a mature implementation of the IoE paradigm are:
- Faster software developments and solutions using a complete ecosystem guided by common open standard technologies and architecture.
- The business of Open Standard APIs: implementing and exposing services and tools through APIs as a product. Restful interfaces support this approach making use of HTTPS protocol as standard for M2M, M2I, V2X, etc.
- Semantic interoperability of sensor information exchange models in heterogeneous environments.
- Adoption of governance mechanisms fostering innovation, trust, and fair data ownership management, while respecting security, privacy and complexity of new IoE environments.
- Bringing “agile developments” and “continuous integration” methodologies to provide deployment of large-scale environments.
- Development of sustainable business embracing the full potential of the Internet of Everything.
- Participate in R&D programs to propose innovative security environments.
As a key actor in the European IoE research landscape, our lab provides technological contributions to the solution of the mentioned issues aiming at ensuring wider adoption and implementation of the IoE paradigm.