MASAI is an efficient data integration software for manufacturing systems allowing to collect data from a variety of IoT devices in the manufacturing domain (Industry 4.0), that is not entirely covered by existing proprietary solutions. In a typical IT infrastructure, it is usually located at the gateway level, between data producers and consumers. One of its main features is that it can be deployed in low-level devices, like Raspberry PI. Other general characteristics of the component are:
- Interoperability, by supporting well-known and most common protocols for IoT related data sources.
- Scalability, due to the amount of data generated by IoT devices, the module’s performance behavior should remain stable during its use, being able to react to different data loads situations.
- Easy-to-use and install, simplifying the interoperability among different systems.
- Take advantage of the use of FIWARE based technologies.
Today's enterprises are linearly organized and optimized within the boundaries of companies and system silos, while companies of the future will fulfill individual customer needs by using a collaborative and agile network of capabilities. In this context, IoT will have an important role in the vertical and horizontal integration of systems. New IT technologies allow to retrieve, connect and interpret all the data generated during the manufacturing process. Making use of that data will help companies to have more control over their own processes, supporting them when decision making is needed and so, becoming more effective and competitive. In this manner, it is a key action to retrieve it, understand it, and use it. MASAI allows gathering data from the different machinery available at companies’ shop floor level to convert it into an added-value asset by putting it available to be analysed by other complex data analytics systems. It is continuously evolving, to be aligned and close to the manufacturing industry needs. In this manner, some key features have been included like the support of the OPC UA communication protocol, the integration with Siemens MindSphere and Visualisation tools like Graphana, that provides MASAI with some features to differentiate from its competitors. Additionally, aiming at enriching MASAI capabilities, it is intended in the near future to be introduced in other areas of application, for example, the agricultural domain.
MASAI is a Data Collector and System Integrator middleware component focused on IoT devices developed based on the experience gained in Manufacturing. MASAI is composed by a set of components that tackle three different issues: communication, management of the devices and handling of data:
- Communication: grating interoperability and adaptation between different protocols and the matching between consumers and providers of data.
- Device Management functionalities to enclose generic information about devices and also to address their security and connectivity.
- Data handling functionalities, MASAI is also granted with a subcomponent that ensures that the data obtained in the IoT world is pre-filtered before being passed to a consumer, reducing the flow or the quantity of inaccurate data.
Among its main capabilities, it can be highlighted:
- Based on Generic Enablers from FIWARE and extended to enhance communication capabilities.
- Facilitates interoperability among systems.
- Devices Virtualization, which allows to aggregate data and the creation of virtual entities.
- Data filtering, limiting dataflow or access to inaccurate data to higher layers.
- Provides monitoring of devices capacities.
- Supports well-known IoT protocols: MQTT, OPC UA, AMQP, and socket.io.
- Allows communication with Cloud platforms like FIWARE and Siemens MindSphere.
- Visualisation capabilities of real-time and historical data to facilitate the follow up of a process.